I used to think that energy work, energy cleansings, chakras, that sort of thing were all just hippy woo-woo nonsense.
I used to think that being involved in the academic community, being a philosophy major, being a pretty straightforward, no nonsense type person meant that I couldn’t buy into that whole energy thing. It was too soft, too spiritual, not rational enough. How could you ever tell if something actually worked because it was effective or if it was because of a placebo effect?
It wasn’t until I gave some of these things a try that I realized they made a difference in my life. Whether that’s because it actually worked or because of a placebo effect, I can’t be certain, though I do like to think it makes an actual difference.
There are an infinite number of ways to do energy cleansings, but there is no ‘right’ way. The only thing that makes it right is what feels good to YOU, what seems to make a difference to YOU. So that being said, this is how I clear my space of bad energy, negative vibes, and all that emotional energetic garbage that we all pick up along the way.
When to do an Energy Cleansing:
- If you’re feeling sad, down, depressed, or anxious
- If you’ve had a fight or argument with a significant other or anyone else in your home
- If someone has come into your home and didn’t have a good attitude or had some bad energy (you can intuitively feel this)
- If you’ve been stressed out or worried about something
- After any traumas that you’ve experienced, or if you have memories or PTSD from traumas [clearing my space after any flashbacks always helps me]
- Whenever you want to shift the energy in your home
- Whenever you want to set an intention to help bring your space into a higher vibration
I understand that this ‘vibration’ and energy talk can weird people out. So if you’re like me and have trouble wrapping your mind around that concept think of it this way: If someone came into your house with muddy shoes on and walked all over your carpet or hard wood floors with it, you’d clean up after they left, right? (At least I hope so!)
It’s the same kind of thing with energy. If you feel like you’re in a happy environment, you’re more likely to be happy, and that’s really what energy cleansing is: getting rid of the negative and bringing in the good, or helping you shift your thoughts around how you feel in your own home.
How to do an Energy Cleansing:
1. I start out by lighting some sage (like in the picture above) and walking through each room, wafting it around and saying a prayer or an intention.
2. The prayer can be anything–if you’re religious, you can use whatever prayers are often used with your belief system. If you’re spiritual, find one that works for you and makes you feel good. It just matters that you use whatever resonates most with you. I used to just write down a simple prayer for a desire for peace and good energy for me and all who came into my home. I also asked that any negative energy be broken down and dissolved. Last year I began working with a spiritual guide who taught me a special prayer to dissolve negative energy, so I use that.
3. If you don’t want to use a prayer, that’s fine, you can use an intention. The intentions are similar to prayers but without a religious/spiritual overtone. Mine often look like this, “I intend this space to be one of healing, creativity, positive and loving energy for me and all those who come here.” Whatever feels good to you is what’s right.
4. After going through each room with the sage (which is really cleansing–you could light a candle or use incense), I go through and spray each room with an aromatherapy spray, usually something with a citrus scent because those are my happy scents. I have a tangerine one and I also love these from Zum Mists (the Lemon and Lavender is another favorite of mine).
5. Sometimes I’ll play some sort of music I really love to put my own vibration back in the space. I’m a happy person and I like being happy, so I play music that makes me feel happy and confident. If you choose to play music, it can be whatever you like, though I think that instrumentals and music without words is often best just after a clearing.
6. This is probably where I differ from most suggestions of energy clearings–it’s at this point where I take a shower. Water is a great conductor of energy and I always feel so purified after I take a shower. Maybe whip up some Crème brûlée” Hand and Body Scrub and scrub away any bad energy. When you get out, you’ll feel so refreshed and ready to take on whatever comes your way!
A few weeks ago, I had a really tough weekend and realized a definite shift in energy was in order. We can’t always control what happens to us and even though we can try to do our best, sometimes people won’t react to us in loving or kind ways. When this happens, I think it’s best to just clear all that gunk out and remember that you are in charge of how you feel.
What are some ways you shift negative energy when it comes your way?
Have you ever done an energy clearing?