≡ Menu

Easy Lemon Hummus

Happy Sunday!

IMG_5175

Apologies for my lack of posting the past few days.  We had a pretty big snow storm on Wednesday and I started to not feel that well.  The thing is, I haven’t been sick in 3 years.  The last time I got sick was at the end of 2010, so I’ve usually got the energy and stamina to power through my various projects.

But on Friday as I was driving to school, I felt like I had been hit by a ton of bricks, my throat was sore, and I found it really difficult to concentrate once I was in my classes.  I felt so out of it that I didn’t even go out to watch the Celtics destroy beat the Nuggets.  That’s saying something.

What’s weirder than not usually getting sick is that my body starts to feel crappy and then a day later it comes right back and I feel or more less like myself.  So yesterday I started feeling much better, made a vegan lasagna and vegan peanut butter caramel brownies and went to a dinner/birthday party.

Today however, is devoted to studying for finals, since they start a week from yesterday.  Friday also happens to be my 25th birthday and I really don’t want to spend that night cramming for my first final the next the day.  :)

So, in honor of finals, here’s one of my favorite, really easy recipes: lemon hummus.

Easy Lemon Hummus

• 1 can drained and shelled chickpeas
  • 1-2 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice (to taste–I like mine really lemony)
  • 2 tbsp of olive oil (if you want a creamier hummus, use a little more, but drizzle carefully so it doesn’t get too runny)
  • garlic salt (or salt) to taste

Throw it all in a food processor and blend! Top with olive oil and paprika and enjoy :)

I personally prefer warm hummus, so feel free to pop it in the microwave or heat up the chickpeas before you put them in the food processor.

I’m a total snob when it comes to hummus.  I spent the first half of my junior year in college studying in Greece and on my second day there, discovered what I believe to be the world’s best hummus at a store called Alpha Beta.  The hummus doesn’t look special at all–it’s a store brand, in a white container with blue and red writing in Greek on top but I can, and did (on many occasions) eat an entire thing of it in one sitting.  It’s that good.

I also have no idea what made it so good, but I do know that American hummus doesn’t come close.

This lemon hummus makes up for the fact that I’m not in Greece anymore.  It’s easy, it’s delicious, and it doesn’t last more than a day around me :) I also don’t like tahini, which is why I didn’t include it in this recipe, but you won’t miss it.

Enjoy your Sunday, friends! I’m off to study and try out my new Solibeat DVD!

Favorite hummus?

What are your plans for today?

Did it snow this week where you are?

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2013
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 13 comments… add one }

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats December 8, 2013, 3:25 pm

Good luck with the finals study!!

Glad to hear your are on the mend now, being sick is no fun.

I love making homemade hommus unfortunately it doesn’t love me back, as I always get stomach pains when I eat legumes so have to avoid them. It is a shame as your recipe looks delicious.
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Searching for….My Profile

• Alex December 8, 2013, 5:43 pm

:( Sorry to hear hummus doesn’t agree well with you! Certain kinds bother my stomach too, but I’ve been able to find some ways around that. Thank you for the good luck wishes!

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven December 8, 2013, 5:11 pm

Totally agree on the hummus thing. I’ve never been to Greece but once you’ve tried the hummus in Israel it’s hard to imagine anything as good. Yours sounds delish though! I’m glad you feel better and ahhhh birthday so soon!!!
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Peek Into My KitchenMy Profile

• Alex December 8, 2013, 5:43 pm

Oh I can imagine that the hummus in Israel is out of this world! Thank you! I’m glad I didn’t stay sick for long and yep, that quarter life crisis is definitely real! ;)

• Matt @ Runner Savvy December 8, 2013, 5:52 pm

Looks delicious! I’m a sucker for garlic hummus.
    Matt @ Runner Savvy recently posted…#Elf4Health: Gratitude ListMy Profile

• Alex December 8, 2013, 5:55 pm

That sounds pretty awesome!

• Melanie @ HappyBeingHealthy December 9, 2013, 12:22 pm

I’m so sorry you’re feeling sick. I hope you feel better soon. ;-) That lemon hummus looks fabulous! I definitely need to make it. It’s been snowing like crazy here the past couple days. It pretty much snowed non stop all day on Saturday! Tis the season!

• Alex December 10, 2013, 6:50 am

Thanks Melanie! I hope that you are staying warm with all of that snow!

• Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition December 10, 2013, 9:19 am

Hummus is amazing on anything haha. Love your recipe!

• Alex December 10, 2013, 8:33 pm

That it is! Thanks Sunnie :)

• Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body December 10, 2013, 5:07 pm

I love hummus, but I have yet to make it myself! This recipe sounds delicious I will definitely have to try it out soon :)
    Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body recently posted…Quinoa Breakfast Bowl – with fruit talkMy Profile

• Alex December 10, 2013, 8:35 pm

Hope you like it, Sarah!

• Sarah & Arkadi December 17, 2013, 8:50 pm

Cool recipe! Nicely done!
    Sarah & Arkadi recently posted…Chicken Curry with CashewsMy Profile