≡ Menu

24 Things I Learned at 24

24.  Being a female and a huge Celtics fan will get you:

a) weird looks when you ask the bar/restaurant to put the game on (especially when none of your guy friends happen to care about it)

b) flirted with by hot guys in dueling piano bars

and c) yelled at by an idiot in a Kobe Bryant jersey

23.  I once thought this guy I had a big crush on could “never like me”….turns out he did (just as much) but was also too afraid of being rejected.  You’ll never know if that guy (or gal) likes you unless you put yourself out there.  If you do and he or she does, rock on.  If you do and he or she doesn’t, you tried, and that’s worth just as much as reciprocal feelings. Not everyone is that brave.

22. Watching a hockey fight in person was as magical as I imagined it to be.  Bucket list item complete.

unnamed-1

21. Irish guys are cuter but I prefer a Scottish accent just a tad more ;)

IMG_2449

20. Choose your friends wisely.  Let go of the ones who take more than give.  Give second, but not infinite chances.

19. To find great people to have great relationships with, let go of toxic ones.  Letting go of the bad friends/lovers hurts in the short-term, but not nearly as much as keeping them around in the long-term.

18. The Cheesecake Factory makes the best veggie burger.

17.  I can honestly say I wouldn’t be writing this today if it weren’t for my best friend, Katelyn.

She was the one who took me to my very first treatment center years ago when I first got help for my eating disorder.  She helped get me through the toughest parts of last year with rough breakup and get back on my feet.  She’s the one I go to when I’m feeling sad, anxious, or happy and want to share something.  She’s been my rock and I love her more than I can say in a random blog post.

IMG_0819

16. If you don’t get something you want, maybe you didn’t need it as much as you thought you did.

15. Going for a run with your best guy friend + listening to Pitbull = Lots of bonding…James Bonding…did that make sense to you? No? Me either….

photo-8

14. Finding the right shade of tinted moisturizer changes everything.

IMG_5069

13. Running makes me feel alive and powerful, but Pure Barre brings me the greatest joy.

12. Live by your own rules–life is too short to live your life by what is right for someone else.

11. Respect yourself and the world will start to respect you back.

10. If you want to be happy, I mean truly, authentically happy, start living from that space even if you don’t feel it yet.  Act as if you have everything you need to be successful and watch things change before your very eyes.

9. Never underestimate the power of rolling your windows down and belting out Cherry Pie when you’re feeling a little down <– instant pick me up!

[If you are easily offended and/or think the Jackass guys are terrible, you may not want to watch that video]

8. We live in both a wonderful and terrible world.  It just depends what lens you’re looking through.

7. Give up what isn’t satisfying you.  Sometimes it is better to let someone down gently than continuing to do something they want just so you don’t risk them getting upset with you. Sometimes it is better to let go than keep going.

6. Getting a colonoscopy is NOT a good time but it is a funny story…because you feel like sh*t for two days.  It’s a good excuse to eat pudding though!

5. If something isn’t worth it, don’t do it.  Do things from a place of love, not fear. (Read this fantastic advice)

4. I love New York and I loved getting a chance to go back and spend some time with family, even if only for a weekend.

IMG_4138

3. I really just want to have fun with my life.  I know I’m a driven, motivated person and I’ll eventually have the degree I want, but having fun is just as important as achieving our professional/academic goals.

2. Forgive yourself, forgive others.  Not doing either will eat you alive.  I prefer to be happy than right.  I prefer to live freely rather than bitterly.  Anger and resentment aren’t worth it in the long run.  Feel your feelings, but know when it’s time to move on.

1. The only limits you’ll ever experience are the ones you impose on yourself.  This life is yours to take.  Do with it what you will.

24 over and out.

Copyright secured by Digiprove © 2013
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 14 comments… add one }

• Kim @ BusyBod December 13, 2013, 4:50 am

Love this list <3
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Intuitive Eating {Guest Post}My Profile

• Alex December 13, 2013, 6:39 am

Thanks Kim!

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven December 13, 2013, 5:16 am

22, 19, 12, 3, 2, 1 <–yes to every single one of these!!! And I don't know what I'd do without my best friend. She was my life saver when some crazy things went down in NYC. Here's to 25 being nothing but fun!!!
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…{Five on Friday} Random Ramblings #4My Profile

• Alex December 13, 2013, 6:40 am

Thanks so much, Davida! Best friends are awesome and I’m glad yours was there for you when you needed her!

• Emma (This Kind Choice) December 14, 2013, 2:40 am

Is that a photo of the orange jacket you mentioned :P? It looks great! Lovely list too
    Emma (This Kind Choice) recently posted…4 Tips for Filling Wardrobe GapsMy Profile

• Alex December 14, 2013, 12:04 pm

Indeed it is! Thanks, Emma!

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats December 14, 2013, 4:40 pm

What a great list!! I definitely took longer than 24 years to learn about the friends thing and not having toxic people in my life.

Your best friend sounds like a great one too :)
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Breakfast Foods: 12 Days of Allergy Free Christmas Recipes Day 2My Profile

• Alex December 15, 2013, 9:32 am

Thanks Jan! That was a hard lesson for me, I think it is for a lot of people, but I know my life is far better without people who never really cared in the first place.

• Matt @ Runner Savvy December 14, 2013, 5:56 pm

Amen to number 20!
    Matt @ Runner Savvy recently posted…#Elf4Health: Gratitude ListMy Profile

• Alex December 15, 2013, 9:31 am

:) An important lesson, I think!

• Katherine December 15, 2013, 8:48 am

I’m so glad someone else in the world had the desire to see a hockey fight. I saw my first one in 3rd grade and thought it was the coolest thing ever. My family, however, thought I was weird for feeling that way. I’m looking at unis in Ireland, so I might have to disagree on the accent thing, but Scottish accents are marvelous! Also, a big thank you to your friend for getting you into blogging! Your blog is marvelous! Hope you had a marvelous birthday! You and Taylor Swift turned 24 on the same day! :)
    Katherine recently posted…DIY Miley Cyrus Ornament.My Profile

• Alex December 15, 2013, 9:30 am

Hockey fights are indeed so fun! Thanks for following my blog, Katherine! I actually think TS is a year younger than me, if I’m not mistaken. I turned 25 this year :)

• Melanie @ HappyBeingHealthy December 15, 2013, 10:02 pm

Loved this post! I agreed with pretty much every one! I loved your #23….wish I would have put myself out there more in high school. I also loved 20, 19, 14, 11, 10, 8, 2 and 1! Such wonderful advice. ;-)

• Alex December 16, 2013, 8:22 am

Thanks Melanie! I think 23 is a tough one for a lot of people, or at least it was for me until that situation happened! Thank you for your comment!